Friday, April 6, 2012

What a week...

This week started out completely out of the norm because the hubby was going to be working out of town. So already I was a bit stressed, solo parenting and working full time. We are a team and everything is better when we can work together. That being said, I knew I could handle it- I would have to let some things go- but we'd be fine :-)

I'm happy to report that we survived. Exhausted. But Presley and I survived without Daddy. She yelled for him every day and looked for him. We were extra blessed because he came home a day early! That's right, he got home last night not too long for Presley had to go to bed. I was so grateful for him to be home last night! He was able to drop baby girl off to school this AM, so I could get in early and get off early- because we have a big change in plans for the weekend.

In addition to being solo this week something terribly sad happened. Tuesday morning I got a call that my Grandma had another stroke (#3) and wasn't doing very good and we would be transferring her to Hospice. heart.break.

I'm blessed. I'm almost 29 (gasp) and I have grown up with 3 of 4 grandparents. Seriously, that is amazing. They are a huge part of my heart, and a big part of who I am today. All 3 are in their mid 80s, and I'm prepared mentally that they won't live forever. (even if I want them to) But, the reality of losing one is heartbreaking.

Grandma is a fighter. She recovery mostly from her first massive stroke about 8 years ago. She had a mini stroke a few years back, but has also recovered. Stroke #3 is another massive one. Wednesday morning, she woke up in Hospice and tried to get out of bed to make my grandpa a cup of coffee. Granted she was disoriented- not remembering the past 24 hrs and where she was exactly. Physically she was only able to stand for a few seconds...but the woman stood up! When she is awake she is talking and knows who is there and can interact. She's a fighter. It's way to early to say if her brain and body will fight this stroke too, so many things can happen following a stroke and she is still very ill. But she isn't going down without a fight, that is apparent. The woman gave birth to 11 children, yes 11. Amazing....Good Catholics to say the least. Although, even in her mid- 80s she gives all us granddaughters a good talking to about birth control! LOL she obviously didn't use it! She has over 70 grand children (including great, and great great) and makes each of us feel so special. She loves babies/kids. Every time we bring Presley over or my other nieces she says how they brighten her day and make her feel so good.

This weekend we planned on having a friend stop in town and stay tonight and visit. See Matt's family on Saturday and go to my mom's on Sunday. That's all out the window now. I hated to cancel on my friend, luckily good friends completely understand.

We are just over an hour from my family and my grandma. So rather than be back and forth all weekend long we are headed up to stay with them and be close to grandma so we can have lots of visits. Several of my cousins from out of town will be around as well, and it seems like just being "home" and close to my family is what's important this weekend.

Can't wait to bring Presley to visit Grandma. I know it will brighten her day.

Also, waiting on my SIL to have my nephew. Anytime, anyday now. 4+ CMs...38 weeks....seriously, anytime. Another very good reason to be close to home. :-)

Under normal circumstances I prefer to drive back and forth and sleep in my own bed. But this weekend is an exception. I don't want to spend 2/3hrs a day driving, when the time could be spent visiting or sleeping. - For this particular weekend that's most important.

Happy Easter. I hope you all have a blessed weekend.
Grandma got a manicure and pedicure with us on Sunday in preparation for my nephew's arrival.
Grandma snuggled with my lil P

1 comment:

Nicole @ Suddenly Snowden said...

Oh Jessica I am so sad to hear about your grandmother's health yet I had to smile reading about her - what a woman she must be!! Sounds like you have a busy weekend in front of you filled with family, visiting, reminiscing, and laughing. Sounds like it will be just what your Grandmother needs. I know Presley will bring such a smile to her face. I'll be thinking of your family - God Bless!!