Friday, August 12, 2011

Grad School Or Not?

I have been trying now for the past 5 years to decide what I want to do when I grow up. :-)

I graduated with a B.A. in Dec 2005. This was in public relations and marketing. I haven't used my degree. I immediately got a job at the university I graduated from. This was a job in payroll. I went from payroll to being a workshop account for study abroad offerings. So basically, I've been in accounting mode since graduation. I never thought I'd being this kind of work. Lucky for me, my current position really helps me get in involved more with study abroad and undergraduate students and the faculty.

During college I desperately wanted to study abroad, unfortunately I had to work during the summer and holiday breaks and really couldn't afford the extra expense. But I was very involved in a student organization on campus that sent student aboard for internships and brought international students to the US for internships. It was pretty much awesome. :-) And I developed more and more love for cultures and travel.

So being in my current office lets me have a taste of this again. But my current position doesn't fully satisfy my long term job satisfaction or salary exceptions. I know the kind of position in my office that I really would want....but it requires a master's degree. And I don't have one of those. So, here I am with a 7month old, working full time, considering getting preggo with #2 sometime this fall/winter AND considering a Master's Program in International Education...Well it's actually in Educational Leadership, higher education, advising and international education focus.

I have a meeting on Monday with a faculty member in this department that I know and work with a lot for study abroad opportunities. I'm hoping she can point me in the right direction. Tell me if I'm crazy, or encourage me to pursue it...

I talked to the Hubs about it. He is fully supportive of me. I don't know if he knows the true extent I am going to really need supported. But he said go for it if I want it.

IF (and its a big IF) I decide to do this. 1st, I have to be accepted. (not so awesome undergraduate grades will be going against me.) 2. I need to do it before my kiddies are super involved in sports and activities. So, it's no time like the present kinda thing. 3. I can't decide to be a SAHM after baby #2...because I get free tuition being an employee. So I gotta do this while working full time. 4. The program has to offer a part time option. 5. The part time option must give me 5 years to complete it. Because I gotta do this slow. OR I will literally be freaking out and overwhelmed.

The good thing about choosing to do this now...is when its complete...I will be employable in several different offices on campus (or other universities, since the area we will in has several within 1 hr of us---not that i want to leave my current one). I could quit work for a few years with kiddies and re-enter the workforce with more ease than if i left with my current credentials (degree never used or have experience in...job experience but nothing i want to do long term....yes, i can be hired in the future as a over qualified secretary...and re-climb the ladder). Having the master's would allow me to enter jobs at a higher pay scale, which could make daycare much more affordable so quitting would be a choice rather than financially making sense because I don't make squat and daycare is hella expensive.

It sounds like a easy choice. DO IT. But, I don't know what impact it will have on me and my family. It's a HUGE time commitment. And I'm already strapped for time. I'd be back in the books, writing papers, staying up late, studying, cramming, exhausted, tired. I know it will be for the greater good. But man, I already hate missing the daytime hours with lil P while I'm working.

It's a hard choice. My mom went back to school when I was about 8. I really admired her for it. I have seen my aunts and cousins go back and complete, associates, bachelors and masters degrees with a house full of kiddies and no real time that I could see that they could have committed to their school. But they did. And they did it well. I know it can be done. But some things have to be sacrificed for it. Am I willing to do that? Do I want to do that? Should I do it?  I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it all.

Any other mama's out there go back to school with kiddies, growing families? Words of wisdom, advice?

So that was super long. Here's a few pics of Ms. Adorable. Love her so much!

Bathtime fun! She loves sitting in the tub like a big girl

She was so excited about a new toy. She was cracking us up!

Playing with one of her "friends". Madison is a bit older than her and was taking her toys and kinda teasing her. Presley didn't quite know what to think about it all yet. But she played along well. And didn't really get mad at her.

1 comment:

Allie said...

DO IT!! My husband had started his MBA right when we found out I was pregnant with our first, he was going to stop school but i said NO!!! The payoff from him finishing school has blessed us like CRAZY so I say go for it!!!