Now, to the subject at hand. SLEEP.
I'm the mom that other mamas despised at 1month Presley starting sleeping in 5 hr stretches...and quickly progressed to 8 to 10 hours. Until about a month ago this was our reality. You could put her to sleep, move her, feed her, change her diaper. And she would hardly wake, if she did...right back to sleep she went. This was our reality for 6/7 months. And I know with babies/kids everything is a stage. I'm trying not to stress over this new stage. I know its related to many things. TEETH-DEVELOPMENT-Separation Anxiety. And her gaining a new found attitude to get what she wants.
So you know- what am I supposed to do. It breaks my heart to hear her cry/scream. I really don't want to CYO. But I 'm worried we can't go on much longer without some sleep. Working fulltime I can't get a afternoon nap in to recover from a bad night. I gotta suck it up till Thursday (my day off)- and don't even think I can make it up on the weekend. We always so busy.
Here's what we are doing in our house. Presley goes down easy (for me-fights her dad on everything)- 6:30p bath, bottle, play. 7p-7:30p snuggles, finish bottle up in her room in the rocking chair. Lay her down right as she is falling asleep. Check. This part goes well. Consistent bedtime routine. She goes down pretty well.
The problem. Between 12a-2a she wakes up screaming. pissed off. No tears. Just seriously, ticked. I come in pick her up- rock her. Back to sleep immediately. Wait a few. Try to lay her back down....body arching screaming! Try again. Look at the clock, almost 3am. Gotta be up at 5:30a (shit). Sometimes I can get her back down for another hour before screaming. Sometimes she just screams every time i try and put her in her crib. So usually after one sometimes two failed attempts. I take her to bed with me. She had been sleeping fine. In fact, Sun & Mon night this week, matt and I were both so tired I just went to bed with her in the guest room and he in our room so we could both get a good night's rest. (i know i know just reinforcing her bad behavior. people I am tired!)
So as if that scenario wasnt bad enough. The past two nights its gotten worse. (is that possible...YUP) After failed attempts at getting her back to sleep. I bring her to bed to find her waking and fussing from 3a-5a. What the heck kid. You are in our bed. Be happy and sleep! Oh no. Fussy. Hair pulling. Kicking. I know she is tired. She is rubbing her eyes. But trying to climb over me to get to edge of bed...wanting out to play. Fussing cause I'm not letting it happen. I know she isnt hungry. And I am not starting the middle of the night bottles. We got rid of that MONTHS ago. I do occasionally give her a little water. A couple ounces. For comfort.
We have tried some of Pantley's No cry techniques. (I don't own the book, YET). Pj changing. Routine changing. Food schedule changing. Bottle schedule. Amounts. In efforts to slowly re-create her habits. But it's not helping the middle of the night screamies!
I've read things online about trying to meet the need of the child. The fact is I feel guilty and at the same time my heart bursts. I know she wants me. It's just the stage. She wants and misses her mama. I am gone from her all day. And she just wants me and when she wakes up in the middle of the night....I can't bear to not be there for her. I love how much she loves me and I want her to feel the same way right back. So the rationale part of my brain declares she knows how much you love her. But my heart hurts to leave her there crying for me. Not meeting her needs. Of course this is one end of the spectrum. Yes, meet the need of the child. They are all different.
But this is not quite the best overall solution because the sleep of myself and the hubs is being impacted. Of course the other end of the spectrum is letting her cry. I know that might be the quickest route to fixing the problem. But will be the hardest for me and her. I hear so many of you say...you had to do it. It killed you, it broke your heart. But it changed everything for the better.
Is there a middle ground? Can I meet her needs, let her feel safe and loved- but re sleep train her to sleep 10 hours in her crib again?
I am open to all suggestions offered. I make no judgements on other mommy's choices. We will ultimately decide what's best for Presley. Whether it be CYO or something else. (i'm crossing my fingers for something else. But know the reality is, we all are better if we sleep :-)
In the meantime.......Presley is basically so cute. I can't hardly stand how adorable she is ALL. THE. TIME.
![]() |
| Chicken Dance with daddy at wedding! |
![]() |
| Cherries! Yum! |
![]() |
| Hey! |



2 comments:
Glad you're back! Yes, I despise you because T is still sleeping horribly but as in a lot of my readings most babies have a major sleep regression between 7&9mo due to development and the only advice I've read is to wait it out... Sorry I don't have anything better to offer!!! We just put T in bed with us all night and let him nurse as much as he wants and that's how we all get the most sleep possible
You're back...sorry for the lack of sleep! That really blows, I will pray she starts sleeping better for your sanity! I remember those days, they say it is because they are learning so much that they are so wired and want to be learning and moving 247 hence lack of sleep! UGH....
Thanks for your NYC tips! I loved them all...we are there for only 2 days so I need to figure it all out asap! haha
Post a Comment