Friday, May 11, 2012

It's the little things...even at 16.5 months

I don't ever want to forget the hour yesterday evening Presley and I spent on a little dinner date.

It wasn't a big deal. Daddy went to the shooting range so we decided that we would go to Chipotle and get a quick dinner. Presley loves Chipotle (a burrito bowl and chips and guacamole).

The evening was so nice we took our food to a picnic table in the open uptown park area and started to eat. After a few bites and lots of smiling at me she climbed up on my lap. Apparently, sitting next to me wasn't close enough.

Once on my lap she helped herself to double and triple dipping chips to scoop up as much guac as possible. In between each bite of the burrito bowl she would lean in and give me a hug. It was precious. She felt so special to be having one of her favorite eat out meals, outside at a park, sitting on her mama's lap. There were a ton of hugs given along with lots of "mmmm's" and "more" requests.

At 16.5 months the little sweetie truly felt special about the dinner date- I could feel that that meal/time together made her feel really good. Of course I care that she liked the food choice, but my full intention was to grab a quick bite to eat, something I knew she'd eat well, and to prevent myself from cooking and cleaning. The added bonus was the outdoor picnic table and making my precious sweetie pie feel super special. It's the little things that even at this age really do matter to them. They notice.

I just don't want to forget that something as simple as getting out of the normal routine, having a different kind of one-on-one time with my daughter matters. Even at this age. We don't have to do anything extravagant.

We don't eat out much- and will probably do so even less with the addition of a new baby. But once in a while- We have to remember how it made her feel to have that time together. And that each of our sweet little girls will need some special one on one time with one or both of their parents. Just like mommy and daddy need some time here and there on date nights.









1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, what a special memory for you and Presley! I love how you said you don't have to do anything extravagant or expensive, the little things do matter.