![]() |
| 6.21.08 One of the best days of our lives |
It's true though.
Our story goes like this.........
Me, 19, college freshman.
Matt, 22, college senior.
I always made friends older than me. Freshman year in college was no different. We had some mutual friends. I was dating a friend of his. And occasionally we ran into one another at a party here and there. The first time I met "Johnny Blaze or JB" (yes, only of the many reasons any earlier we would have never dated) He actually introduced himself to me as Matt. (odd. everyone else calls him JB)
Everytime we ran into eachother he made a point of saying Hey to me. But I knew a few things about him...1. His nickname was Johnny Blaze/JB. (enough said) 2. He liked to party 3. He was a flirt 4. He seemed like a nice enough guy.
Obviously, things didn't work out with freshman year boyfriend. He dumped me a week before Valentine's Day. (Yup. He sure did.) Then a week after, declared he wanted to "spend as much time as possible together" before he graduated. (i.e. endless booty calls.) I was young, but I wasn't that stupid. Of course, it took a weekend or two before I got all my strength together and quit hanging out with him all together. We still had mutual friends and ran into eachother....almost daily, so wasn't the cleanest breakup.
Then mid-April came around. It was Ghetto Fest weekend. (big multi-block party on the north end of town..."the ghetto") My friends had an apartment there and we spent Friday night cutting fruit and soaking it in Ever Clear. for our Jungle Juice! (or harry buffalo...many names for it) Makes for cool aide with a serious punch. So needless to say, this was a fun day. Towards the end of the day Matt showed up with a few friends. We were chatting and hanging out a lot. It was time to head home, and I was feeling sober by then. (of course, I do not think I made a good decision, but the truth is what it is) So I decided I was going to head back to my dorm. Matt and his friend wanted a ride. No biggy. I drop the friend off first. Then head toward Matts. We get there and he invites me to hang out for awhile. I question this (it was possible to run into my ex here). But decide what the heck. We have a nice evening hanging out with his roommates. He is definately flirting with me, but I really stay pretty standoff ish. Since I am hanging out with friends of my ex with a new guy. I don't want to be seen as slutty or something. Cause at that point, I wasn't even sure if I liked him like that or not.
So eventually we part ways. He tries to kiss me. I tell him he will have to work harder for a kiss. We exchange #s and that was that. A week goes by. I haven't heard from him. I didn't call. We are busy anyway. I'm dealing with end of the first year and Matt is working on the end of his senior year (i.e. partying). But I run into him on campus and something that was completely unlike me at the time happens, I blurt out, "I thought you were gonna call me!" Then literally, put my hand over my mouth and laugh. The exchange is pleasant. He promises to call soon.
I'm back in my dormroom and about an hour after we ran into eachother, my phone rings. It's Matt. He's having a party and wants to invite me and some friends. I bring friends to the party. His roommate at the time was super lame and then a fight breaks out between some of his other buddies. (love these guys now)- My girlfriends leave. LOL I don't blame them one bit. I decide to stay. It's a good time. We hang out a couple more times before the end of the semester. It's pretty easy going. Agian, I'm not sold on anything serious.
I move back home for the summer and start work. And Matt calls me daily. (more than daily) He wants to hang out all the time. But I'm living an hour away. Taking summer classes and working. But we manage to hang out a lot. This is the beginging of our relationship..... By the end of the summer, I was staying with him all the time if I didn't have back to back shifts at my job. I moved into a town house in the fall. He basically lives there. And we've been together ever since. We didn't officially move in together till bought our house in 2007. But wherever I was, he was there...95% of the nights for 5 years.
We never broke up. (one time...almost, but we made up)
Things were relatively easy for us. I mean as far as "it just worked"
We
Matt challeneges my uptightness on a regular basis. We see the world differently. But it's because of our differences that we are able to come together. I love that he reminds me to care a little less about what other people think.
Thanks for making me want to divorce you 2 hours after we were married. This was not such a great moment. |
| This was a great moment. A "get you back" moment. When I got my compsure and decided we would stay married (for now). |
| First married "make up" moment. All transpired with 200+ people watching. |
| "By my side" Thanks for being by my side always. And for being my best friend. |
| Thanks for always making me laugh. Always embarassing me. And always being inappropiate. You never fail in this category. |
| Thanks for extending our Del Mar stay...night after night after night. We really never wanted to leave here. Perfect weather for the both of us. Honeymoon highlight! |
To many many more years. I love you forerever.

2 comments:
Aw! Happy Anniversary!
This such a sweet post and what a fun story!!! Happy Anniversary:)
Post a Comment